WIP: Carmageddon

All Carmageddon contestants lined up

When I think about future car combats I immediatley think of the PC game Carmageddon, inspired by the movie Death Race 2000. The game is about a stunt car race against both the clock and against the other contestants. There are two ways to win a race; you can be the first to cross the finish line, or you can crush the competition by destroying all your opponents cars.

You need some skillful driving techniques to pass the checkpoints before the timer reaches zero, but due to the game’s excellent physics engine it’s even more fun destroying other cars. Let’s face it, if you wanted another car racing simulator you’d be running Need For Speed. This game is about crashing cars! For either tactics you’ll probably need some extra time and this time can be earned by running over innocent pedestrians. I remember watching the in-game replay and thinking “I need to pass that pedestrian crossing sideways to achieve an even bigger combo bonus!” This game is politically incorrect and totally hilarious. Needless to say the game was accompanied by a huge controversy and it was even censored in some countries.

I’ve been wanting to do some crazy, over the top, Carmageddon-like cars usable for games like Battlecars (aka Combat Cars) but still suitable for other rules too. I’ve been looking into the Axles & Alloys rules which looks promising as well. I’ve chosen to go with some Micro Machines vehicles to keep the size of things down. The following pictures illustrate my progress so far, with before and after pictures of each car. The car modifications are pretty much complete and the only thing left is painting. I have glued magnets to the bottom of the cars, and the wheels have been glued in place to stop the cars from rolling. The extra weight gives the cars a nice feel when picked up from the table. The cars have been given names from (or inspired by) the Carmageddon game.

Leadpumper

Hawk

Crushinator

Pulverizer

Stiletto

Annihilator

Piranha

This entry was posted in Tabletop and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to WIP: Carmageddon

1. sho3box says:

These are sweet.

Every gamer wants to play a Mad Max/Death Race/Car Wars sort of thing. dont they? Going the Micro Machines route is a great idea. What scale approximately do they work out as? Do they work with 10mm?

If I find a ruleset that scratches that itch then Micro Machines are probably the way to go.

I have only heard the name “Crushinator” in Futurama. Does it feature in Carmageddon too?

2. apeekaboo says:

I’m reading the rules for Axles and Alloys right now and I can recommend you have a look at them. They seem to be fast, simple and entertaining.

The author describes the rules as A Game of Converted Hot Wheels and Matchbox Cars Driving Around and Around and Around and Trying To Shoot the Shit Out of One Another. The core rules are only 15 pages, but still accomodate for skidding, drifting, different weapons, car classes, jumping things, combat, etc. After that it’s another 10 pages of scenarios, alternative rules like weather and some other stuff.

Good call on Futurama, as that’s where I got the name Crushinator from. I couldn’t find any more short, snappy names from Carmageddon, suitable for the look of my cars. So I had to cheat a little.

It would be cool to add drivers to all the cars, if I could only find some time to visit my local hobby shop. As of now I can only say that Epic Space Marines look like babies compared to the cars, and those are 6mm. I think 10mm is small compared to them too, but it might work as they are gonna be inside the car. Someone said Micro Machines are slightly larger than N scale.

3. Steam Crow says:

LOL, I’ve been doing the same thing for my Monster Commute game. (Monsters in a dystopia world of cars.)

Micro machines are great; cheap, good detail, exaggerated design.

I’ve been having a difficult time determining what scale they are, as I’d like to buy some buildings/accessories (like garbage dumpsters) and am not certain what size to get.

Any ideas?

• apeekaboo says:

I apologize for my late reply. I’m in the middle of house moving, so my world is a bit chaotic at the moment, and probably until the beginning of March… 🙂

I took an MM car to my local railway hobby supplier and compared it to H0 scale (1:87, miniatures too big) and to N scale (1:160, miniatures too small). But I found some kids in H0 scale which look good beside the MM cars.

I actually have a crappy photo with the miniatures posing around the cars:

Perhaps TT gauge or 15mm would work, however this is unconfirmed.

4. Nico says:

I have a question about your arcade cabinet but could not find a way to contact you. I am building a cabinet too, but cannot find the t-molding here in Sweden. Did you buy it in Sweden or from the fleaBay ?

• apeekaboo says:

If I remember correctly I bought it at http://www.t-molding.com/. They have a vast collection of T-molding. It was quite a few years ago now, so perhaps there is some cheaper alternatives closer by, or have a look on Ebay as you mention. Just make sure you get the measurements correctly. Good luck! 🙂

5. Eduardo says:

Hi I´m thinking about doing the same kind of trasformation to micromachines for various games i have: roadthunder,a custom made mad max board game and car wars ,could you tell me how did you do the guns,fenders,spike thingies and such,and what tools you used and so??

Thanks a lot for showing that great work you did

Eduardo

• apeekaboo says:

Hi! Most of the stuff is from slaughtered Epic Warhammer vehicles. There’s also some bits and bobs from different old sprues and what not. Unfortunately I don’t have any update pics, since I haven’t really had any time to finish this. 🙂

6. Eduardo says:

Thanks a lot for your reply,well im pretty sure that warhammer 40k epic minis must be impossible to buy nowadays and if so they wont be worth the price only to be salvaged as bitz for the cars.Will see how i manage to convert the mm´s in the end