Tag Archives: configure
Having recently moved up to Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal, I noticed early on that the log file /var/log/messages was missing in the new install. Seeing this a peculiar but not investigating further to why it was missing, I finally did caved in and did some quick googling on the matter.
It turns out the developers felt it was redundant to save the same data in both /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages. I have previously felt that they are similar but they are not identical, as /var/log/messages holds more information than what is found in /var/log/syslog.
I use Lynx, a text-based web-browser, on a daily basis. It can be everything from using my webupdate script to doing a quick lynxdump from a shell in a terminal. Lynxdump is an alias I have set up:
Normally I’m not using Lynx to surf the web, since it’s text-based so no pictures are shown. But it is an essential and excellent tool to use in scripts! Since I’m not using it for my daily surfing, I haven’t really bothered to configure it to handle the Swedish characters åäö correctly. Today I did some scripting towards Google Translate and I realized it was time to grab the bull by its horns.
Network Time Protocol can help you keeping your computers time accurate. This is important to maintain correct timestamps in log files. Not to mention how annoying it is with a clock not showing the correct time… Installing a basic NTP server will help your computer to have its time accurately controlled by NTP. The beauty of this is that when your computers time is wrong, NTP will speed up/down your clock to catch up. This is done so that cron and other time dependent tools will not notice anything.
I had some troubles with web pages being shown in the wrong language in the Opera web-browser. I prefer to see the english version of a web page, whenever available.
To fix this problem:
- Type in the address bar:
- Do a search for language
- Change the value for HTTP Accept Language, from:
- Click the Save button
- Close and restart Opera
- Great success!
Since I’m still running Lucid Lynx, updates for KDE is lagging behind a bit. To keep a bit more up to date with existing KDE updates, I’m adding a PPA found on Launchpad, to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
Update the package index:
Suddenly at some point, I wasn’t able to send any e-mails. Messages got stuck in the outbox, refusing to leave my computer.
At first I thought it was a temporary problem with Google’s mail servers, as I hadn’t installed or changed anything for a week or two on my own computer.
Upon further investigation I found this link which suggested using telnet to test the connection to Google:s SMTP server.
So I ran the following command:
No greeting or anything. The telnet session just hang there.