Tag Archives: conversion
At my last visit to Toys ‘R’ Us, I bought two interesting terrain pieces for €6 each. Both are kids toys related to the brand Elias. This post is about the second one, a crane (Elias – Krana i Lunvik).
The problem with both the Elias stuff and Thomas and Friends, is that most (all?) vehicles and many buildings have a face. This is of course a kids toy, so they want to add some character and persona to the stuff so they also can sell movies, cartoons and what not. For me this presents a problem, since I want terrain that looks a bit less like… a kids toy.
When I think about future car combats I immediatley think of the PC game Carmageddon, inspired by the movie Death Race 2000. The game is about a stunt car race against both the clock and against the other contestants. There are two ways to win a race; you can be the first to cross the finish line, or you can crush the competition by destroying all your opponents cars.
At the moment I have several buildings in the pipe. It’s a long pipe though, since one of these buildings was mentionen in this post over a year ago. Here is some work in progress pictures of three of those buildings.
First out is some pictures of the silo. Nothing fancy here, the parts comprise of:
- cardboard, corrugated and regular
- space hulk sprue
- matches and tooth picks
- CD-tower base
- scavenged plastic parts
The whole piece was then primed with black spray paint as seen here. I have begun the painting and I think I’ll go for an abandoned look.
Yesterday I went to a local thrift store to leave off some stuff from my basement clearance for charities sake. While I was there, I was also hoping to find some cheap plastic playsets in a usable scale, which could be used for conversions. I like to convert plastic buildings, because they often have some type of detailing, which saves me the time and effort to make it myself. Old and/or broken playsets are an excellent starting points for this task and they usually come very cheap too.
I have previously done a quick visual comparison of three miniature sets:
- Studio Miniatures Nazi Zombies
- Mantic Ghouls
- Warlord Games WWII German Infantry
Some of you may wonder what happened after that. The three sets can be combined to create some original Weird WWII creatures. I’ve been toying around with some different poses and settled for a few. This is very much a work in progress, and I’ve got plenty of parts left to create more zombies.
Some updated pictures of Luigi’s Restaurant. I’ve added a table and a pair of chairs, made from balsa wood, matchsticks and a the top from a shampoo bottle. The trash can and the fire post is from Mega Minis if my memory serves me right.
I’ve finished the modern buildings!
The Cars playset is now converted into a restaurant.
Originally I wanted to name the place Paco’s Tacos, Luigi’s Pizza or perhaps even the Winchester. But I decided to go for the more generic Luigi’s Restaurant. This also gave me the advantage to keep most of the old sign. In the future, I will probably add a table and a pair of chairs to the entrance of the restaurant.
Alongside my dice tower project, I’m also working on some other modern buildings.
The first building is from a Cars playset which I picked up on a flea market for €1 (less than $1!). I’m planning to convert it to a restaurant.
The second building is a Hello Kitty building I picked up on eBay for €6 including shipping (about $5). I’m planning to do some minor modifications to it, such as removing the carrying handle, adding a chimney and of course re-painting it.
The sixth batch of zombies from Cold War miniatures.
These zombies are from Wargames Factory. The one to the left is a conversion, where I’ve added a torn off arm to the hand of the zombie.
I picked this up off eBay. It’s a Wizkid Horror Clix Alien Queen + Egg Hive. It’s pretty cool, but the paint job on the scenery is just hideous… I decided to do something about it. The first two pictures is the original hive and queen. Notice how the alien eggs looks like rose flowers. Obviously that had to be changed!
I did some basing and painted the floor and eggs. I used a wash on the cocoon and the stone columns, to give them a less cartoonish look. I left the queen untouched. The following pictures show the result: