Tag Archives: diy
At my last visit to Toys ‘R’ Us, I bought two interesting terrain pieces for €6 each. Both are kids toys related to the brand Elias. This post is about the second one, a crane (Elias – Krana i Lunvik).
The problem with both the Elias stuff and Thomas and Friends, is that most (all?) vehicles and many buildings have a face. This is of course a kids toy, so they want to add some character and persona to the stuff so they also can sell movies, cartoons and what not. For me this presents a problem, since I want terrain that looks a bit less like… a kids toy.
At the moment I have several buildings in the pipe. It’s a long pipe though, since one of these buildings was mentionen in this post over a year ago. Here is some work in progress pictures of three of those buildings.
First out is some pictures of the silo. Nothing fancy here, the parts comprise of:
- cardboard, corrugated and regular
- space hulk sprue
- matches and tooth picks
- CD-tower base
- scavenged plastic parts
The whole piece was then primed with black spray paint as seen here. I have begun the painting and I think I’ll go for an abandoned look.
Instead of concentrating on finishing one of my many terrain projects, I thought I’d start a completely new project; modern shipping containers!
This time I saved some old Dell harddrive caddies from the trash, and though I’d use them for something. I liked the look of the sides of the caddy, so I broke them off. This is what I had in the beginning:
I’m currently working on expanding my Dust Tactics terrain. This is a sneak peek on one of the terrain pieces I’m working on. I reckon this could be an industrial turbine, or perhaps some sort of air intake to the secret base. Looks like an objective to me!
Stuff seen in the pictures:
- barrels from Fenris Games
- toilet rolls
- CD jewel case
- ketchup spout
- spaghetti (!)
- drinking straws
- pin protectors from different computer cables
- parts from an old backup robot
This warehouse was finished in 2010. It’s actually made up of three separate buildings which may be connected in several ways, or they can be used alone. I also made a platform on which the buildings can be placed upon. The buildings are made from cardboard boxes.
My Dust Tactics terrain pieces are now finished. This previous post describes what the terrain pieces are made of, mostly trash actually. It’s really not that hard to create your own terrain pieces and I recommend everyone to try it out before dismissing the idea. I think real terrain pieces enhances the game experience a lot.
The second part of my Dust Tactics project involves making terrain to substitute the included cardboard terrain. This includes both hard and soft cover.
- original Dust Tactics ammo crates and tank traps
- some old resin pieces
- Qtips box
- left-overs from IKEA furniture
- milk spouts
- dessert cups
- scrap from printer toners
- masonite board
- scrap wood
- match sticks
- toilet paper
- various types of glue
The work in progress so far:
Just finished the painting of the mother of all Bombs!
I will paint all my dust tactics terrain without snow, as I feel this will give me a more diverse use of all the terrain pieces. Even though my next Dust Tactic terrain pieces will be sized to match the grid, the terrain pieces can still be used for pretty much any game I’d like.
Recently being addicted to Dust Tactics, I thought I should create some nice terrain instead of the cardboard stuff shipped with the game. The cardboard stuff works well, but we all want 3D terrain to add to the atmosphere.
I got inspired when I saw some pictures on BGG, where someone had created a huge bomb stuck in the dirt. The mother of all Bombs, but it was a dud! I blatantly stole that idea but tried to make my own version of it.
Part used for this project:
This is a terrain project that was started this summer, and finished during the fall.
It all began when I stumbled over some empty CD jewel cases in the trash, and had the idea of using it for something. I didn’t know what to use it for at the time.
I disassembled the cases and started fiddling with the parts. I came to realize that this could make a decent foundation for some modern apartment buildings. I decided to make the buildings with only three walls and an open back. This would make movement of miniatures in the buildings easier, and I figured that buildings placed at the edges of the table wouldn’t need a back anyway.