Tag Archives: telia

Using smartmontools to test a Motorola VIP1963 disk

Background

As seen in my previous post, I’ve been having problems with some harddrives in my workstation. I’ve also had some problems with my TV’s digital box, a Motorola VIP1963.

At first there was some trouble with time-shift not working, but this could be resolved by simply rebooting the device. This wasn’t really worth noting because this device is constantly on and never rebooted, so I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Troubleshooting

Suddenly the other day, the device rebooted on it’s own, and when it came back up it gave me an error message saying that the harddrive could not be found. This message was in swedish:

Posted in Linux | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Installing Net ID in Firefox

Telia have patched a security hole in their Net ID software so I decided to download the new version and try to install it.

I’ve never managed to get Net ID working in Linux, due to Telia only supporting Ubuntu 10.04 and a very old version of Firefox. For this embarassing reason (for Telia), I have been forced to use a virtual machine with Windows XP whenever I had to identify myself…

With the latest software update I was hoping that they would have corrected the previous problems. I downloaded the file iidsetup_64.tar.gz with the x64 version and after extracting it I installed it as root:

Posted in Linux | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments