Tags for this category
- axles & alloys
- dungeons & dragons
- castle ravenloft
- weird ww2
- gears of war
- dice tower
- lord of the rings
- relic runners
- space hulk
Recently Played Games
Tag Archives: wip
At my last visit to Toys ‘R’ Us, I bought two interesting terrain pieces for €6 each. Both are kids toys related to the brand Elias. This post is about the second one, a crane (Elias – Krana i Lunvik).
The problem with both the Elias stuff and Thomas and Friends, is that most (all?) vehicles and many buildings have a face. This is of course a kids toy, so they want to add some character and persona to the stuff so they also can sell movies, cartoons and what not. For me this presents a problem, since I want terrain that looks a bit less like… a kids toy.
At the moment I have several buildings in the pipe. It’s a long pipe though, since one of these buildings was mentionen in this post over a year ago. Here is some work in progress pictures of three of those buildings.
First out is some pictures of the silo. Nothing fancy here, the parts comprise of:
- cardboard, corrugated and regular
- space hulk sprue
- matches and tooth picks
- CD-tower base
- scavenged plastic parts
The whole piece was then primed with black spray paint as seen here. I have begun the painting and I think I’ll go for an abandoned look.
Instead of concentrating on finishing one of my many terrain projects, I thought I’d start a completely new project; modern shipping containers!
This time I saved some old Dell harddrive caddies from the trash, and though I’d use them for something. I liked the look of the sides of the caddy, so I broke them off. This is what I had in the beginning:
Yesterday I went to a local thrift store to leave off some stuff from my basement clearance for charities sake. While I was there, I was also hoping to find some cheap plastic playsets in a usable scale, which could be used for conversions. I like to convert plastic buildings, because they often have some type of detailing, which saves me the time and effort to make it myself. Old and/or broken playsets are an excellent starting points for this task and they usually come very cheap too.
I have previously done a quick visual comparison of three miniature sets:
- Studio Miniatures Nazi Zombies
- Mantic Ghouls
- Warlord Games WWII German Infantry
Some of you may wonder what happened after that. The three sets can be combined to create some original Weird WWII creatures. I’ve been toying around with some different poses and settled for a few. This is very much a work in progress, and I’ve got plenty of parts left to create more zombies.
I’m currently working on expanding my Dust Tactics terrain. This is a sneak peek on one of the terrain pieces I’m working on. I reckon this could be an industrial turbine, or perhaps some sort of air intake to the secret base. Looks like an objective to me!
Stuff seen in the pictures:
- barrels from Fenris Games
- toilet rolls
- CD jewel case
- ketchup spout
- spaghetti (!)
- drinking straws
- pin protectors from different computer cables
- parts from an old backup robot
The second part of my Dust Tactics project involves making terrain to substitute the included cardboard terrain. This includes both hard and soft cover.
- original Dust Tactics ammo crates and tank traps
- some old resin pieces
- Qtips box
- left-overs from IKEA furniture
- milk spouts
- dessert cups
- scrap from printer toners
- masonite board
- scrap wood
- match sticks
- toilet paper
- various types of glue
The work in progress so far:
Recently being addicted to Dust Tactics, I thought I should create some nice terrain instead of the cardboard stuff shipped with the game. The cardboard stuff works well, but we all want 3D terrain to add to the atmosphere.
I got inspired when I saw some pictures on BGG, where someone had created a huge bomb stuck in the dirt. The mother of all Bombs, but it was a dud! I blatantly stole that idea but tried to make my own version of it.
Part used for this project:
Alongside my dice tower project, I’m also working on some other modern buildings.
The first building is from a Cars playset which I picked up on a flea market for €1 (less than $1!). I’m planning to convert it to a restaurant.
The second building is a Hello Kitty building I picked up on eBay for €6 including shipping (about $5). I’m planning to do some minor modifications to it, such as removing the carrying handle, adding a chimney and of course re-painting it.
Some updated pictures of my dice tower project, which is progressing nicely. I have added sand to the walls to get some texture, primed the whole building and begun painting it. This is a fun project and my first real experience working with balsa wood.
There is still some work to be done; painting the church windows and some paint work to define the bricks.